Friday, 29 November 2013

random 5 friday - a new facebook page


1. Good morning! Yesterday on facebook I announced my new fan page. It’s so pleasing to sign in and look at the number counter. Welcome to all my friends past, present and future. I am so glad you stopped by! Refill the coffee mug, pull your chair closer to the fire and sit a spell.


2. Speaking of fires, Renoman has half the firewood stacked in the woodshed. It arrived late, we had a wet summer and his back kept going out on him. Stacking and storing are somewhat behind schedule, but it’s getting done. Some of the wood sizzles a bit while it’s burning, but most of it is okay. Looks like we’ll be staying warm another winter.



3. There aren't many photos of the garden this year. The fact is there wasn't much of a garden to shoot. I've always been all, Oh! I’m sooo going to be self-reliant and grow my own herbs and veggies. But I have a confession to make. I didn't spend much time in the garden this year at all.

Why did I not spend more time out there? After focusing on that question this week and trying to understand the problem it dawned on me. I do not feel safe. The beds have scrunched together over the last 3 years so there is hardly any room to shuffle through. The kale and volunteer tomatoes were particularly unruly. 

Our garden paths are wonky and they're covered in straw which seemed like a good idea, but I constantly trip over the clumps. In the spring I was gardening and fell while Renoman was at work. The only thing hurt was my feelings and I was able to rutch my way to the nearest fence post to pull myself up, but I wasn't in a hurry to try again.

One challenge with Multiple Sclerosis is balance … more like a lack of it. I saw a facebook page once called, We’re not drunk. We have MS. That about sums it up right there, my friend. It’s not often I take a step, even in the relative security of my little Victorian farmhouse, that I don’t feel wobbly.

So, finding a solution before next spring is in the works. We need to have a symposium on it first, but Renoman may be clearing wider paths, laying down firmer pathways and building raised beds … I do mean RAISED beds – tall enough to reach without bending or squatting. Gardening is such an integral part of urban homesteading. I am determined to adapt.


4. Have you ever ground wheat berries into flour? A couple of weeks ago my friend, Holistic, and I spent most of the day together. Usually, when we spend the day together we waste it doing silly things like sipping tea, shootin’ the breeze and generally solving the world’s problems for politicians. I don't know why they never ask us for help. Geeze!

This visit we had an actual agenda --- try out new grinder; make bread; while bread is rising work on box stall; solve world problems ... again.

We read that people who are sensitive to wheat (me) can tolerate freshly ground flour. Um, no.

5. After what seemed like forever (did it seem that way to you?) we brought Lavender to the farmhouse. She will be unemployed and living at home - unlike the meat rabbits who will be working girls and living outside.

She’s entertaining and naughty. As I type this she is scampering around my feet and doing binkys … entertaining.

Binky verb binkys, binky•ing, binkied - to jump for joy (as in normal rabbit behaviour). True story.



Here she is just moments before nibbling a hole into the slip cover … naughty (also normal rabbit behaviour). Note to self: do not leave bunny unattended on the sofa.

Anything new happening at your place? Tell me all about it in the comment section below. You know I'll get back to you.

Blessings until next time...



18 comments:

  1. Before Renoman goes to the trouble of making really raised beds you might want to try using containers (Earthboxes, Rubbermaid, etc) set up on stands made of cement blocks or wood frames. That way you can get the right height and width that is most comfortable for you. As we live in SW FL and have numerous bug problems, both in the air and in the soil, we only garden in containers and those are in the lanai. Even tho I have no physical problems, except age, just having them about 18" off the ground has made the gardening easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds interesting. I'm very grateful, thank you! How often do you need to feed the plants?

      Delete
    2. I feed 1/2 recommended dose of a fish liquid twice a month. I also 'plant' a layer of kitchen scraps about 4" below the top of the soil. I do not compost it, just make sure it is in reasonably small pieces. It really seems to help. Because of our weather it decomposes rapidly - usually within a month.

      As it is our growing season we have about 8 tomato plants in 5 containers, 2 pots with 2 plants each of bush scallop squash, 4 Earthboxes with Asian vegetables, a pot of cucumbers growing up in a wire cage, a pot of Contender bush green beans, an Earthbox with yard long beans, another with sugar snap peas, another with red and green malabar spinach, a pot with thyme and green onions, 2 pots with sweet peppers, 1 with a hot pepper, 3 window boxes: one with green ones, another with beet greens and the third with an Asian green, and one large pot of mint that I use for tea. I have some collards growing with summer squash and cabbage growing with tomatoes, those were accidents as it took a couple of months for them to sprout.
      We have 2 pots of katuk outside the lanai and 4 bushes of Cranberry Hibiscus (the leaves of both are edible and the plants grow easily) in the ground. These containers have at least 3 plantings during the year, but mainly the same crops rotated.

      Delete
    3. I venture to guess from what you say that you are in the southern hemisphere. Hawaii, maybe? I am awed by all that you are growing. Having never heard of an Earthbox I googled it and a few of the other things you mentioned. Thank you so very much for taking the time to comment and share this information! It will definitely be worth adding to the proverbial thinking pot.

      Delete
    4. SW FL between Sarasota and Ft. Myers

      Delete
    5. Hehe, my geography is pretty bad. :-)

      Delete
  2. Lavender is the cutest! Oh my gosh. I just want to pet her! And I hope you will figure out a good solution for your garden. Don't feel bad for not being out there so much this year. I think you are doing a fabulous job with all you have been doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have MS, just balance problems caused by knee and back. I do understand the "not feeling safe" concept. However, it is the hen's pen that I feel most unsafe since the dig huge holes and then kick them full of straw or leaves, leaving undiscovered holes for me to find.

    Do you know how many older people break bones and have concussions because of animals underfoot in the house? Animals are actually worse than throw rugs for broken bones and injuries. I know elderly people who ended up in the nursing home because of falls caused by animals. I know you are not elderly, but the result is the same--danger of falling. No, I don't know exactly the figures for injuries.

    I am putting the finishing touches on late Thanksgiving dinner. I did not get it finished yesterday, so I am making the dressing right now, actually making cornbread to make dressing. Onions and celery are calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do understand, Linda. Mmmm, cornbread. :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness, I think I'd have a hard time gardening if I had a fear of falling out there. That IS scary. I saw this marvelous garden where a pool used to be. It was fenced and all the raised beds were at hip height, so you didn't even need to get to the ground. Sounds perfect for you! :)

    And I don't know how you do all you do. You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bunny!

    The nice thing about a grinder is that you can grind all kinds of grains :) it saves so much money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a 'family' grinder owned by and kept at my mother-in-law's to use whenever anyone needs, but I would love to have the convenience of a grinder at my house.

      Delete
  6. The bunny is so cute!
    I have a grinder- just haven't had time to play with it yet :)
    we put up our Christmas decorations. I am still trying to decide how I am going to finish my stairs. Hubby is home, replaced the outlets that were not working.
    He showed the middle two boys how to take an ac compressor off the older boys car. It doesn't work ( it froze). we are waiting for the bypass pulley to come in. Hopefully it will be in tomorrow, so that he can supervise the boys and get the car running again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stairs are often a decorating challenge in any season. I'd love to see your Christmas solution. Maybe you will post it on your blog? (hint :-) It is so great to be able to do your own house maintenance instead of depending someone else to do it for you. An air conditioning compressor that froze...there has to be a joke in there somewhere! :-)

      Delete
    2. Probably from ack of use. Who needs ac in western Washington? I believe I can count on one hand the number of times I have really needed to use the AC here. I'll try to take pics and post them tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have been enjoying your posts. We have two raised beds which we cold frame cover in winter. Hope you get yours built so you will be safe in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you stopped by Gardeningbren. Cold frames are a great idea! I am inspired by your garden photos. Beautiful.

      Delete
  8. Just catching up on posts and I loved this! Raised garden beds are an excellent idea. We only have waist-high beds for loose-leaf lettuce right now, but it's so nice to not have to bend! Hooray for another year of staying warm. :) I had to laugh at the line about solving problems for the politicians. My husband does the same thing although he's usually telling the newspaper or television, as if someone, other than me, is going to hear him. :) Love, love, LOVE Lavender - she is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Comment