The Little Acre That Could is getting a face lift!
Thank you for your patience while she undergoes a few nips and tucks.
This blog is best viewed in Chrome or Firefox browsers.

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

homemade chicken soup

As requested by a reader, this is how I make homemade chicken soup. My recipe has evolved over many years. It is nourishing and delicious.

My family loves it, especially when it's paired with hot, buttered, homemade biscuits and molasses. 





Ingredients:
3-4 lb frozen whole chicken
½ cup 9-bean mixture
1-3 tsp. sea salt with minerals
parsley, free hand
½ tsp each of ground sage, rosemary and thyme
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1-2 stalks celery, diced
1/8 cup dehydrated diced sweet red pepper or ½ fresh red pepper, diced
dried kale flakes, free hand
1 cup frozen bone broth or left-over gravy, or a combination of the two, defrosted
¼ cup frozen peas
1 Tbsp. rice flour to thicken if desired

Method:
Put frozen chicken in soup pot. Half cover with cold water, no salt. Cover pot, turn on high and bring to boil.

Turn to low (I use #3 out of 10 on my stove). Simmer until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, or a leg turns loosely in its socket.

Remove chicken from pot. Add bean mix. Simmer until tender. Keep an eye on it. You will have to add water to cover the beans as they cook so they don’t boil dry.

When the beans are soft, add sea salt (I do not use very much salt, adjust to your taste), parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.  

Add onion, carrot, celery and sweet red pepper and cook until just under desired tenderness.

{While the vegetables are cooking pick meat off chicken.}

When the vegetables are just under desired tenderness, add kale flakes, bone broth and gravy, picked chicken meat, peas and rice flour. Simmer until veggies have finished cooking.

Serve with our favourite gluten-free biscuits fresh from the oven for a tasty meal.

14 comments:

  1. Oh now that sounds like a perfect thing for me to make today as a big snowstorm is coming. Thanks Sue, looks delicious. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good and makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the recipe you asked for, Linda. :-)

      Delete
  3. I have never had chicken soup with beans. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. We think it's pretty tasty. If you used your pressure cooker, the beans would cook more quickly. :-)

      Delete
  4. Yummy!! I love soups. I always add beans as well. Will add those lovely herbs next time.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To remember the herbs I think of the song Scarborough Fair. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Oh yummmmmmm..... Perfect for our snowy day today!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there anything better than hot soup with freshly made bread? I don't think so! Now I've got a craving...haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely the best looking chicken soup. Would you believe I have never made chicken soup! I plan to try this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy looking meal. I am gluten free as well for health reasons. I want to try these biscuits. I don't usually replace bread products as to save on the carbs but these look like an exception!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom at home, going gluten-free surly does require a change in thinking. I try to stay away from grains all together now, but once in a while... ;-)

      Delete
  9. Mmm! Looks good! We also toss dried kale...inspired by you, friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment

 
Blog Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)